Thursday, March 02, 2006

ME WANT FOOD!

Ever since the first night in the NICU that I nursed both babies (well, the first night it really worked!), I have been desperately thirsty and hungry almost all the time. I know nursing twins can be demanding, especially when you're not supplementing. But DAMN! Every time a baby begins to nurse, there's like this reflex that is triggered, and I become thirstier than it seems I've ever been. The hunger is also almost unbearable. And it's just gotten worse as they have increased their intake and frequency. This is not the kind of hunger that an apple or carrot sticks will satisfy. This is a big hearty sandwich, banana-and-peanut butter, english muffin or bagel, three bowls of cereal, four pieces of pizza, salmon and baked potato, cheesy enchiladas, tofu and rice pilaf, ravioli, tuna melt and fries, chocolate layer cake, creamy rice pudding, a half dozen doughnuts if I really lost it, kind of hunger. I was rarely hungry during my pregnancy due to sickness, so I am telling you that when I got my appetite back and it was 10 times what it was prepregnancy, I almost went insane trying to figure out what and how to eat. Part of the problem is that I get so hungry and then I don't have the time or energy to prepare something substantial, so I either eat crap or starve.

I gained 50 pounds when pregnant, and I've lost all but 8. The only thing I've done to lost the weight, in truth, is resist eating everything in sight. I'm really getting kind of nervous now, because I don't feel I am losing weight any more, but I do feel hungrier than ever. What to do? I already have that big, pouchy "mom" stomach that would look just great right below a fanny pack, especially were I to visit Disney World and wear a fuschia nylon exercise suit. Yeesh. I don't want to add any more junk to my trunk, kwim?

Oh, I know it was and is all worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing. I would do it all over again and then some, just to see those little chubby cheeks and tiny feet one more time. But please oh please, if you have any food ideas, do pass them on. I'm absolutely STARVING!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You once said that four gnocchi paired with a can of Coke are so filling that you might not need to eat anything else for lunch. Perhaps it is worth a try now?

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! the rice salad diet coke diet! as discovered in pza santa croce. jb, how could you have forgotten?

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha!

I wish I had some ideas for you but I have been subsisting on various forms of cheese-as-meal for weeks now. Just can't get it together to ingest vegetables.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

Nine months on - nine months off! If you are breast feeding then I say EAT and eat well! Jeans will come once the kids get to the crawling/running around stage and you are running/crawling in two different directions

4:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Weight Watchers has a great book called meals in 15, 20, and 30 minutes. I only make the 15 min, ones. I also go to peapod.com and get the groceries to make all of my food for the week delivered. I get only the ingredients to make those things and sparkling water, plus diapers and wipes etc. The cost is like $7 and they give you coupons off.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home