Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Initiation ceremony

Today I experienced my first drive-by parenting incident, and I consider it the true initiation to my career as a parent.

Yes, the drive-by took place at none other than the coop! I was there alone with the boys, who were in a double stroller. Admittedly I was struggling to get through the tiny aisles. I politely said "excuse me" to some middle-aged lady with a gray fro stocking frozen burritos. She looked up and grimaced. I knew right away I was in trouble. "You know," she said, "you really shouldn't come here with a double stroller and expect to get around without a problem. You should leave your babies with someone else when you come to shop!" Beautifully, like music from the angels above, my response-to-be wafted into my head. I said, "Yeah, I would do that, only my husband left us to go join the rodeo," then turned around and left. Go me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a fantastic retort. you are brilliant! should we all be so lucky to think of a comeback in the moment...

4:14 PM  
Blogger Bill Norris said...

I knew that Brokeback movie was going to wreck family values.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You go girl!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

I knew that cowboy at the rodeo last night looked familiar.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Anth said...

Brilliant.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home