Friday, January 20, 2006

finally got around to wearing a baby (and other boring baby stuff)

I really got nothin' people, but if you have time to kill, be my guest:

This morning I am trying for the first time to hold one of them in a sling. It's a sling that I inherited from a neighbor. I looked it up on the internet, and it's gotten good reviews from a wide variety of sources. Is it right for him to look like his neck's about to snap off? Just checking. He's sleeping in it, so I guess he doesn't mind.

Yesterday was so much more manageable than the day before. The babies took a long afternoon nap, leaving me time for myself. Up until this week, I felt like I had a lot of free time. I thought, "It's not so hard!" Yeah. That was before the babies discovered the ancient art of colic. Their ritual takes place in the evening, sometime between 5 and 10 PM. It has actually only happened maybe three times, but the screaming makes it quite memorable. For those of you who've experienced it, you know - it's not just regular crying; it's more like they're screaming bloody murder, as if someone's taken a blowtorch to them. And with two at the same time? Forget it. Have you ever heard of Twin Escalation Syndrome? It's when one twin exhibits a behavior and the other takes on the same behavior, only in a more severe way. It's a, "I'll see your screaming and double it!" kind of deal. And the pattern continues until the hand has been won.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the colic. Nothing unusual in my diet, no change in their schedule, etc. One day they cry, the next day they're happy as clams. It just is. Hard for a control freak like me to accept. But hey, they are little people who, just like the rest of us, sometimes get wound up from the day's stressors. Too bad they can't just sit back and relax with a nice martini like the rest of us. Fortunately, they continue to sleep well at night. We are only up with them once or twice in general. I must enjoy this while it lasts. It is such a privilege to be even remotely well-rested, I know.

My parents announced to me that they were coming this weekend to see a show and shop, etc., not to see they babies, but could they stop by if just for an hour or so??? Argh!!!! They have never once come to NYC as tourists. It's a pretty lame and thinly veiled excuse to see the babies, if you ask me. The reason I'm pissed is that I did not invite them, and they have backed me into a corner. They knew I was still getting over the babies being in the hospital, and for me that meant having alone time with my family and maybe a few friends here and there. Some normal, quiet, boring time. So you know what I told them? I said that this weekend would not be good for visitors, but if they wanted to watch the babies for 2 hours tonight while SP and I get some dinner right around here, that would be fine. And of course they ate it up. It's a little stressful because no one can feed J other than me due to his swallowing/breathing issues (we're going to the doctor next week to get this checked out). We'll have to go somewhere near our home, in case he starts screaming because of a hunger pang. But at least it's a little alone time with SP, and at least I don't have to interact with my parents considering how annoyed I am. And with any luck, maybe the babies will choose tonight to be colicky.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that was BRILLIANT! Good work on the fending off parents front.

Maybe the weekend is now a bit stressful, but we wondered if you wanted some more friend company this weekend. We'd love to come eat bagels with you again if you're willing.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home