Friday, January 06, 2006

The Late Show with J and M

The only thing that makes getting up to breastfeed several times in the middle of the night somewhat tolerable (other than, er, the gratification one gets from nourishing precious lives...) is late night TV. As I've mentioned before, I don't have cable, which makes the selection pretty bleak. I must say, however, that I think what's on in the wee hours might be better than what's on during the day.

You have your South Park. That's a good one for when you just can't believe you're up yet again. Hearing Cartman yell, "Screw you!" in his vile little voice either breaks the tension or articulates just how you feel. Plus seeing Kenny's head blown off repeatedly is just inexplicably funny in the middle of the night. There is also The Jeffersons. I never really watched it growing up, so it's kind of interesting to see now. I'm a pretty big All in the Family fan, and I think The Jeffersons characters might have gotten their start on that show. Does anyone know if that's true? Frasier is another one that's on that I never really watched until the reruns started. I guess I always thought it would be boring and pretentious because that's how I felt about the Frasier character on Cheers. But it's actually not bad. Seeing the Crane brothers is even a little funny, considering I have two boys now, though I am hoping they wouldn't turn out as snobby as those guys. With SP and me as parents, I don't think that'll happen. Too much blue collar in our otherwise potentially snooty blood. Let's see, what else is on at night? Among the weirder stuff are repeats of late night talk shows. To me, these shouldn't be on repeat, because who wants to see a has-been celebrity with an outdated do being interviewed about some movie that came out 5 years ago?

Now, I do have some ideas for what could be added to the late night selection. I don't expect much, since I don't have cable. I have limited my choices to old sitcoms. Here's what I'd like to see: MASH, All in the Family, I Love Lucy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show (the early ones), Roseanne, The Cosby Show, It's a Different World, Mission Impossible, Welcome Back Cotter, Taxi, 1970s Saturday Night Live, The Muppet Show, and maybe even some Brady Bunch for good measure (as long as that included the one where the Brady family goes out West to a ghost town and gets locked in an old jail by some psycho and then escapes by brilliantly tying their belts together to make a lasso that Mike uses to get the keys off of the hook). Granted, I am basing these requests on what I used to like to watch, and it's quite possible I would not enjoy the shows as much now that I am a mature (!) adult. But it's worth a try. Does anyone have an "in" with the people who run the half-ass local TV networks in NYC? If so, you have my list. Now make it happen!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Netflix, bay-bee, Netflix. We don't have it (yet) but I am thinking of it exactly because of all the nursing and being around the house. You can get DVDs of TV shows, not just movies. Of those you mentioned, I know Season 1 of the Muppets is out (have it!) and I think several of the others are on DVD, too. MUCH cheaper than cable or buying the DVDs but lots of entertainment.

We don't have cable AND our broadcast reception is L*O*U*S*Y. Sounds like you have a little better over the air service than we've got, but still, I think it's worth considering.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Maybe you could just watch the video of that great dance Bri and I performed. I'm sure that would be better than anything either cable or the networks could offer.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home