Wednesday, October 12, 2005

On the bright side

NOTE: *If you didn't read my last post, please do so. Otherwise, you may go through the rest of the month without realizing that October is the right time for you to repair your toilet tank.*

In other news, it seems that every time I think the medicine is at an effective dose, I get a bunch of contractions. The doctors don't seem all that worried in light of the negative fFN. But I'm the one whose belly is tightening and contorting into asymmetrical shapes, who is experiencing shortness of breath, and whose face becomes hot and red, so please pardon me if I get a little concerned.

To manage the anxiety, I have decided to try a new approach. Not only am I trying to accept that the babies will decide when they arrive, not me, but I am also looking at the positive aspects of them having to spend some time in the hospital if/when they do come early. Mind you, this is somewhat artificial because what new mom wants her babies in the hospital instead of at home with her? But nonetheless, sometimes looking on the bright side is the only way to get through. So here is a list in progress.

Good things I can do while the babies are in the hospital:
  • pump the hell out of my breasts so that the babies can have the benefits of breast milk while in the hospital
  • help take care of the babies and learn their needs so I can better take care of them at home
  • recuperate from the birth
  • finish the nursery/organize the house
  • send out birth announcements
  • cook and freeze meals
  • do some Christmas shopping
Okay, so it's a short list right now, and in reality I will probably be glued to the NICU every day, not making casseroles. But I'm trying. Feel free to add your own ideas. However, please do not add "relax" or "get some sleep." I have actually already had some people suggest to me that it's an advantage to have your baby/ies in NICU for a while so that you can rest, something you wouldn't be able to do if you brought them home right away. Of course, all of these people carried their kids to term and brought them home with them. "Oh, you don't know how hard it is! I wish I'd had a few days of r&r!" Sounds vaguely reminiscent of the dreaded words I heard from the Fertiles when trying so hard to conceive: "Just relax!" People mean well, I suppose.

Well, I'm sorry to cut this short, but I must go and fix my toilet tank now. Tata!


6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

If they end up in the NICU, I think that all you can do is remember to breathe, try to take as much care of each other as you can, and not worry about anything else but what the four of you need. Don't make casseroles - enlist friends, family, neighbors in all that. They'll want something to do; you'll want to be at the hospital.

I'll keep sending STAY IN thoughts in the direction of your uterus & the marvelous contents therein.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend had a -fFN test and still gave birth in less than the 2 weeks it is to clear you for. She was only 26 weeks with a singleton.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Bathe and eat. Because from what I hear, once you have babies at home you never do that again.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, hope they stay in for as long as possible. If they go to the NICU, and you find yourself with spare time, here are my ideas:
-Write down all of the details of your birth experience before you forget them.
-Boil all of the pumping paraphernelia and bottles. (Do you already have lanolin cream? It helps with the sore nipps, which will be coming your way).
-Take baths to help in your recovery.
-Massage your lower belly to make your uterus shrink back down to normal size (whatever that is).
-Drink lots of water.
-Set up a Flickr account so you can share photos of the beauties with us.
-Practice swaddling on SP with a big blanket.
I'm hoping that you can find a comfortable position to lie in right now, but somehow I doubt it. Hang in there J and babies!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I do love the idea of swaddling your husband. Should you do that, please add the pictures to the flickr account, ok?

12:36 PM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

Jen and Amanda, you make me smile.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home